UK Based Freelance Ecommerce Growth Consultant
You don’t want to be left
competing on price
Smarter growth strategy for the online retailer
You don’t want to be left competing on price
Conversion strategy for the smarter online retailer
14 Conversion Experts You Should Be Following
32 CRO Influencers That Rule Optimization
One of the world’s Top 25 Most Influential Conversion Rate Experts
45 best CRO Experts to Skyrocket your website conversion
Helping online retailers and makers sell more products since 1996
Hi, I’m Ian Rhodes. I’m a UK based freelance eCommerce consultant. I partner with online retailers and makers in the UK, Europe and North America.
Together we action a smarter, more customer-centred growth plan to sell more products (without trashing your prices).
Fuelled by data insight and driven by a marketing process that will
1.) motivate people to buy from you
2.) make it easier for people to buy from you
3.) inspire them to return and buy again
“Ian will help you understand your online customers better than you ever thought possible”
– Owen Whitehead – Head of Global Digital at TravelCounsellors.com
1.) FOUNDATIONS FOR GROWTH
You’re not just selling products off a shelf. Successful positioning of your retail brand is critical. It’s what makes people feel comfortable buying from you – the human element of retail. Let’s give your eCommerce business identity and ensure the necessary infrastructure is in place to grow your brand and your business through:
- Ecommerce platform review & recommendation
- Value proposition clarity
- Knowing the roadblocks in your customer’s journey
- Consistency in your website copy and tone
- Using your own back story
- Focusing in on your niche
- Smarter use of Google Analytics
- Email purpose and strategy
- Pricing and delivery strategy
- Competitor review and perspective
2.) HELPING PEOPLE BUY FROM YOU
MAKING IT EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO FIND AND BUY – A growth programme driven by your conversion optimisation strategy. Making use of data, a/b testing, customer and ecommerce insight we can work quickly to improve the effectiveness and conversion rate of your ecommerce website across:
- Improved homepage format
- Focused product page layout and copy
- Better use of site categorisation
- Effective call-to-action design
- Impactful product imagery
- Reducing shopping basket abandonment
- Improved checkout process
- Mobile design effectiveness
- Smarter site navigation
- Persuasive use of customer testimonials
“He is an e-commerce professional with a depth of expertise and is a pleasure to do business with. I would not hesitate in seeking his consulting services again on another project.”
– Mathew Wade – Head of Digital at Gossard
3.) GIVING PEOPLE A REASON TO BUY INTO YOU
EMOTIVE SELLING – CRAFTING SALES COPY THAT MOTIVATES SALES. Your customers decision making is based on emotive response. So let’s get smarter in how we reach and attract customers to your products. The creative side of marketing that differentiates you from the competition. Untemplate your brand by delivering sales copy, product imagery and storytelling that builds:
- Kinship – creating contextual sales copy that aligns with the real reasons people buy a product
- Assurance – making people feel confident in the product they’re buying
- Urgency – let’s give your visitor a reason to buy today – limited time offers, scarcity and shipping deadlines
- Intrigue – Learn how to evoke curiosity around what you sell
- Inspire – Show people why they need to buy what you sell (what happens when they own the product)
We’ll work to improve both customer acquisition and retention to drive long-term profitable growth for your retail business.
“The work we have done together has seen our online business go from strength to strength driving more traffic to our website and yet reducing our cost per conversion. “
– David Winstanley – Managing Director at Pramworld
MY ECOMMERCE BACKGROUND
I’ve been growing online retail businesses for 20 years.
Finding my feet at a startup online retailer in 1996. Moving on to Priceline.com as European Marketing Director, an innovator who are now the worlds largest travel company.
I then launched my own retail business in 2004. From scratch and bootstrapped. Doing the things you’ve done. Balancing time and energy marketing my business and running my business.
For the past 7 years my time has been dedicated to my retail consulting business, working alongside makers and retailers to figure out how to motivate more people to buy through their website. The art and science of ecommerce growth.
“one of today’s leaders in Conversion Rate Optimization, people who don’t just talk the talk but put their theories to the test on a daily basis.”
– Kathryn Aragon – CrazyEgg
WHAT’S THE VALUE OF AN ECOMMERCE GROWTH PROGRAMME?
How would 1,2… maybe 3 more orders out of every 100 visits impact your bottom line?
When your sole focus is on traffic growth you can get involved in price wars. There’s nothing left to differentiate your shop from the next. Apart from price. That’s not a good place to be. It becomes a volume game. Visitors, not revenue.
I help makers and retailers focus on what happens on their website. What can we do to motivate more people to buy from you? It’s time to get smarter with your conversion process. Then we unlock traffic growth.
How I help retailers and makers thrive
Here’s what I’ve found. No amount of effort updating your SEO, product feeds, social media updates and Instagram shares outweigh the time you spend mastering your communication through your website and email. Seriously. If your sole focus is bringing people to your store, it’s a fruitless task.
That’s why we start our work together at the foundations. Building your brand and establishing your marketing agenda.
I help retail businesses build their audience by understanding their audience. Truly understand their audience. We’ll get our fingers dirty working Google Analytics, figuring out exactly what’s taking place on your website. We then align the products we sell to your audience’s needs. We make what you make (or sell) matter.
Working with popular eCommerce platforms including:
Shopify – Magento – OpenCart – BigCommerce – WordPress/WooCommerce – Squarespace
10 WAYS TO TELL IF WE’RE A GOOD FIT?
- My ecommerce clients are owner-led businesses. I work directly with the owners of maker brands, specialist retailers and fashion brands. Heritage brands, premium brands and startups alike.
- I partner with ecommerce retail business owners who are there for the long-haul. Business leaders more interested in sustainable growth than the get-rich-quick.
- Businesses that value their customers. Know their customers. Businesses built on behalf of their customers.
- I have to believe in the products you’re selling. Whether premium brands or innovative products. We have to share an understanding that there’s a demand for what you do.
- I don’t work with copy-cat retailers or makers. I’m interested in marketing innovation, not replication.
- The majority of my clients are UK-based. I do work with retailers and makers in Europe and North America too.
- I partner with a select group of retail clients. No more than 8 at anyone time.
- I don’t work with retail businesses in the same industry as my existing clients.
- My intention is to work with you for 12-18 months. To design your eCommerce growth strategy and build traction measured by revenue growth. I want you to successfully manage your marketing internally long-term. At this stage my role shifts from retail marketing partner to advisor as we progress.
- My monthly fees range from £650 – £1950. Far more cost effective than hiring or relying upon an external agency.